Search This Blog

Thursday 26 February 2015

Bird // Shoreditch

There are many places available for when you're craving fried chicken in London. It's a popular thing. And if you're drunk, it's seriously the best meal of your life. I refuse to give in to that. The cardboard boxes make me sick just to look at them, especially if eaten by people on the bus (who conveniently like to chew on the bones and just toss them on the floor, but don't get me started on that...).

I can even refrain from this menace when I'm drunk, but let's face it: even I have cravings at times. And refusing to step into a KFC does not help. Luckily there's always a cool looking alternative for all the junk food desires. This one is Bird. And bonus points: it has chicken and waffles.


I had been planning this visit for a while so I had to get the chicken and waffle dish. Sounds so American. I'm weak and I love the USA.


The restaurant was empty as we arrived at 12pm in the afternoon, which is always the best thing if you are going to eat fried food. The whole day ahead to burn it off. Except that if you're like me you will be in a comfy food coma and very excited for sofa + netflix.


Beer goes well with chicken. And everything else.


They arrived and came with maple syrup. I looked at my plate and thought: "Ah, ok so this is quite a small portion so I am gonna eat it quickly and have room for more in the end. And have to spend more money on desert". I was wrong. 


I bet you can easily imagine how crispy this is. Right??


So we began. Not only it was crispy, it was also super juicy inside. That's what you want with fried chicken. It didn't taste like a late night drunken treat, it was good. Very good. Especially with the maple syrup, which was something new for me. The waffles were quite nice and savoury with bits of onion and cheddar cheese. What initially looked like a small portion turned out to be way too filling, way too quickly. I tried my best to finish this as I despise food waste, but, for the first time, I couldn't bring myself to eat the second waffle. I believe I didn't finish the second piece of chicken as well. That's something to keep in mind if you order this off the menu - I never had trouble with this before!


On the other hand, the deep fried pickles were too good and this big portion was almost not enough for me! I absolutely adored this and am considering coming back just for them. They don't taste like your average pickle, they were moist (sorry if you hate the word) and the batter gave them a salty but addictive taste. My boyfriend was not happy about them and barely ate anything, which I have to admit made my meal. Isn't it great when someone hates something you love? More left!!

I am still not ready to come back to Bird as my fried chicken craving happens once a year or so. But I would return for a smaller chicken portion - no waffles this time. And two plates of fried pickles, please.

42/44 Kingsland Road
E2 8DA

No comments:

Post a Comment